Stripes

Monday, July 18, 2011

Allergy Shot Pro







If anyone who has a kiddo that has bad allergies knows it isn't fun, nor is it easy! It's sad..it's frustrating...it's a whole ball of emotions that I can't even begin to explain. Brooklynn's allergies started when she was around 3 months old. We seriously should have had our own parking spot in front of the doctors office. I look back on it now and I am like why did I even bother taking her to see her doctor....I knew exactly what she was going to say to me....it's allergies. Saline and suction was about all I could do for my sweet Miss "B". I got so tired of hearing you are just going to have to saline and suction Amanda...that's all you can do for her. She was to young for allergy medicine and even when she did get a little older and we were able to give a something it didn't help. SO FRUSTRATING!! Talk about giving Momma major anxiety! If you have ever listening to your kid cough constantly all night long you know what I am talking about



So last Summer I changed Pediatricians (best choice I ever made). We now see Dr. Kenneth Jackson at Grand Prairie Pediatric & Allergy Clinic. It's funny because growing up I went to the same place. I am not sure if it was called Grand Prairie or not but I do know that Dr. Jackson was practicing there. I saw Dr. Behler. The place still smells the same and everything!! Crazy! After about 2 months of seeing Dr. Jackson he said....Amanda I would really like to allergy test Brooklynn. You think about it and if you are interested call us and make an appointment. 2 weeks later we got allergy tested. That was one of the worst 3 - 4 hours of my life. She got pricked about 25 times up and down her arms and on her back. She was crying....I was crying, it was horrible.

See her little arms in this picture....this was a couple of days after she got allergy tested. Poor arms. The other side looks the same and so does her back.



End result of the allergy test.....severe allergies. She is severely allergic to something in every season that we have here in Oklahoma. Also on the list were dogs, cats, soy, banana, and strawberry and many many more. She now get's a weekly allergy shot. Every Saturday we load up and head to Dr. Jackson's office. She does really well up until she sees the nurse and depending on what kind of mood she is in the shot either goes really really bad or really well. Lately she has been a pro at the shots. The other day she went back all by herself and had no problems at all. Then there are days when I am picking up shoes that she has kicked off, sunglasses if she is wearing them, baby dolls if she brought one in. Those days I dislike.....well I mean it's not like I like seeing her get a shot at all, but the days when she doesn't take them as well as the others just makes me want to break down a cry. I will say that the shots have been working!! In the last year we went from doing a breathing treatment nightly...sometimes even in the morning, to doing them only as needed!! That makes me super happy!! We are due to get retested soon. Fingers crossed that she has grown out of some of these horrible allergies.




Reading a magazine while waiting for them to call her back.




Getting a little pep talk.

OUCH!



All done!! She is showing off her cool band aid.


See she is an Allergy Shot Pro!!


Everyday I thank God for blessing Justin and I with two super healthy beautiful little girls. If having a child with allergies is the only thing I have to deal with.....I am okay with that.






Until next time!
Amanda
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment